Bible Doctrine Class
Chapter 7: Creation
"Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee." - Nehemiah 9:6
A. God created the universe out of nothing.
- Bible evidence for creation out of nothing (ex nihilo) - Genesis 1:1; Psalm 33:6; Hebrews 11:3; Acts 17:24; Revelation 4:11; Psalm 90:2.
- Creation of the Spiritual Universe - Nehemiah 9:6; Colossians 1:16.
- The direct creation of Adam and Eve - Genesis 2:7,23; 1 Corinthians 11:8,9.
- The creation of time.
- The work of the Son and the Holy Spirit in creation - John 1:3; 1 Corinthians 8:6; Colossians 1:16.
B. Creation is distinct from God yet always dependent on God.
- God is transcendent - greater than His creation - Ephesians 4:6.
- God is immanent - remaining in His creation - Colossians 1:17; Hebrews 1:3.
- Wrong beliefs
C. God created the universe to show His glory.
- Isaiah 43:7; Psalm 19:1,2; Revelation 4:11; Jeremiah 10:12.
D. The universe God created was "very good."
- Genesis 1:4,10,12,18,21,25; 1 Timothy 4:4,5.
E. The relationship between Scripture and the findings of modern science.
- When all the facts are rightly understood, there will be "no final conflict" between Scripture and natural science. (see Schaeffer's No Final Conflict)
- Some theories about creation seem clearly inconsistent with the teachings of Scripture.
- Secular (atheistic) theories
- Theistic evolution
- There is a purpose in God's work, not randomness - Genesis 1:24.
- God's word brings immediate response - Psalm 33:6.
- Plants and animals reproduce "after their kind".
- God forms all living things - Psalm 139:13; Exodus 4:11; Psalm 104:14.
- The special creation of Adam & Eve.
- Scientific problems with evolution.
- Notes on Darwinian evolution.
- Current challenges to evolution.
- Limited variation in breeding.
- "Survival of the fittest" is meaningless.
- Animal organs are too complex.
- Fossil record is incomplete.
- Common characteristics do not imply common ancestry.
- Cannot explain how life began/begins.
- Cannot explain why the universe exists - "Although Science may solve the problem of how the universe began, it can not answer the question: why does the universe bother to exist?" - Stephen Hawking
- The destructive influences of evolutionary theory. - Racial superiority, Hitler.
- The age of the earth.
- Gaps in Biblical genealogies?
- Age of mankind.
- Did animals die before the fall? Romans 5:12, Genesis 3:17.
- Does "6 days" really mean 6 24-hour days? Exodus 20:8.
- Other Theories
Q7. What are the decrees of God?
A7. The decrees of God are, his eternal purpose, according to the counsel of his will, whereby, for his own glory, he hath fore-ordained whatsoever comes to pass.
Q8. How doth God execute his decrees?
A8. God executeth his decrees in the works of creation and providence.
Q9. What is the work of creation?
A9. The work of creation is, God's making all things of nothing, by the word of his power, in the space of six days, and all very good.
1. How does the Bible's description of creation give special significance to the creation of man?
2. Why did God create the universe? Was it necessary that He do so?
3. Why is the theory of theistic evolution inconsistent with Scripture's teaching on creation?
4. List four scientific arguments against the theory of evolution.
Asceticism, creation, deism, dualism, ex nihilo, immanent, intelligent design, macro-evolution, materialism, micro-evolution, natural selection, old earth theory, pantheism, random mutation, theistic evolution, transcendent, transitional types, young earth theory.
Answers In Genesis
Hodge's Systematic Theology: The Decrees of God, Creation - dabar.org
Creationism - Wikipedia
God and Cosmos: A Christian View of Time, Space, and the Universe - John Byl
Green Eye of the Storm - John Rendle-Short
Darwin on Trial - Phillip E. Johnson
Creation and Change - Douglas Kelly