Bible Doctrine Class
Chapter 12: Man as Male and Female
Wives, submit to your own husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and do not be bitter toward them. - Colossians 3:18-19
A. Personal Relationships
- The Trinity.
- Christ and the Church.
- Husband & Wife.
B. Equality in Personhood and Importance
- Everyone is equal before God's law.
- No one is inferior or superior.
- We are all sinners in need of salvation - James 2:1-13.
C. Differences in Roles between men and women.
- Relationship between the Trinity and male headship in marriage 1 Cor 11:3.
- Distinct roles before and after the fall:
- Adam created first - Gen 2:23, 3:20; 1 Tim 2:13; (Primogeniture, birthright).
- Eve was created as helper - Genesis 2:18; 1 Cor 11:9.
- Adam named Eve - Genesis 2:23, 3:20.
- God named the human race "man," not "woman" - Genesis 5:2.
- God spoke to Adam first after the fall - Genesis 2:15-17, 3:9,16.
- Adam, not Eve, represented the human race - Romans 5:15; 1 Cor 15:22.
- The curse of sin distorted the relationship - Genesis 3:16,18-19.
- Christ restores the correct order - Colossians 3:18; Ephesians 5:22; Titus 2:5; 1 Peter 3:1-7.
- This order applies to the Church:
- Men are to be elders - 1 Tim 3:1-7; Titus 1:5-10.
- Men are to be deacons - 1 Tim 3:8-13.
- Men have authority over women in the church - 1 Cor 14:33-35; 1 Tim 2:11-15.
- This also applies to the home - Eph 5:22-24.
- What about the egalitarian position?
- Galatians 3:28 (Colossians 3:11) teaches equality of believers in Christ; it does not define leadership positions in the church.
- Was Paul really inspired by the Holy Spirit or not?
- Is Paul authoritative or not?
D. Further Considerations
- Your view of Scripture should determine your view of male/female roles.
- If Scripture is not culturally relevant as is, it is not authoritative as is, therefore, it must be changed, i.e. gender-neutral translations.
- Misuse of history.
- Misuse of Biblical languages.
Verses quoted in Chapter 12
1. Explain how the creation of mankind as male and female reflects the image of God in interpersonal relationships.
2. If man and woman are created equally in God's image, what does this say about their relative importance before God?
3. Name five indications that distinct roles for men and women existed before the Fall.
4. What effect did the Fall have on the roles and functions of Adam and Eve?
5. What effect does our redemption in Christ have on these roles?
PERSONAL APPLICATION QUESTIONS
1. If you are being honest about your feelings, do you think it is better to be a man or a woman?
2. Are you happy with the gender God gave you, or would you rather be a member of the opposite sex? How do you think God wants you to feel about that question?
Complementarian, difference in role, distortion in roles, egalitarian, equality in personhood, primogeniture.
Q13: Did our first parents continue in the estate wherein they were created?
A13: Our first parents, being left to the freedom of their own will, fell from the estate wherein they were created, by sinning against God.
"Woman takes her being from man, man takes his well-being from woman." - Thomas Adams
"A prudent wife commands her husband by obeying him." - John Trapp
"When Adam was away, Eve was made a prey." - Henry Smith
Six Questions That Have Never Been Answered - Wayne Grudem
Evangelical Feminism and Biblical Truth
Q & A on Paul and Jesus, Women and the Law - Jim Hamilton
Is Homosexual Practice No Worse Than Any Other Sin? - Robert Gagnon